09 May 2009

Recently I learned...

  • Your browser uses the public suffix list to determine whether two web sites may share cookies. This is not very robust but better than the previous strategy.

  • If you take a long strip of paper, fold it in half as many times as you can, and unfold it, it'll make an approximation of the fractal shape called the Heighway dragon.

  • If you take two fractions, say 1/2 and 1/3, and add the numerators and denominators, you get the mediant, in this case 2/5. I don't know much about the mediant, but it is linked to Ford circles in a way I don't really understand, and I'm told mediants give a startling way of approximating the value of continued fractions.

  • glibc's qsort only does an actual quicksort as a last resort. If there's enough memory, it does a merge sort.

    This is old news, and I kind of figured it was the case, but I never looked at the source code before.

And I was reminded that complex numbers are key to quantum mechanics, something I missed when I was writing about complex numbers a year or two ago.

We've been unpacking books that have been in boxes for a year and a half. It's like meeting old friends. I read the epic of Gilgamesh, the book of Joshua, and Six Easy Pieces. I love small books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It's like meeting old friends"

How true! That is exactly how it feels.