03 November 2005

Last night I finished watching the first season of Veronica Mars. Great stuff.

It's a teen girl detective show with amazingly dense plotting. You get a mystery every week, and developments in one or two multi-episode plotlines, and a new twist in the season-long super-mystery. I don't know how they find the time to cram in all this information, but it's expertly done. Solid dialogue, good world design, very good characters, good acting (mostly). Teen angst and romances are part of the bargain, but it's not overdone much.

TV shows are a lot more complex than they used to be.

Reading friends' blogs is risky. I'm worried about spoilers. They're watching the second season on TV now, and I won't see it until it comes out on DVD.

Netflix is great for watching shows like this.

2 comments:

detarame said...

Did I recommend this to you or did you pick it up somewhere else? This is another of those shows i've been pushing hard for the past 6 or 8 months.

I always pitch it as :It's 90210 meets The Rockford Files

jto said...

(grin) I've never seen 90210 or The Rockford Files.

Olivia ordered it from Netflix after she heard Joss Whedon likes it. Because she's a big nerd.