The White House is now talking about how military action against Iran is “a last resort”, which I think means the decision has already been made.
I opposed invading Iraq. I'm not sure about Iran. There are a lot of differences. To start with:
- Iran really is seeking to build nuclear weapons and has already acquired the nuclear material to do so.
- Iran's government really is a theocratic regime with ties to Islamist terrorists.
- Iran might be a lot tougher militarily—it's bigger and in better economic shape.
- If we invade Iran, we have to worry about Iraq disintegrating.
- We won't have any allies this time. Britain has already publicly and repeatedly opted out.
So: harder, but more justified. The doctrine of preemption certainly would seem to require war. Does anyone see the case for war in Iran as seriously weaker than the case for war in Iraq?